In today’s competitive online business environment, medical SEO plays a vital role to stay on top in the healthcare industry. Nowadays, people are relying on the internet to search for information on products and services that suit their needs. Having a medical website is not the only thing you need, it’s just the first step towards building an online presence. Building a website is easy as long as you have the right resources. The question is, how to be discovered by people who are searching for the information and services you’ve offered? The answer is medical SEO.
What is Medical SEO?
Medical SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is a strategy commonly used by digital marketing professional to promote the website’s ranking in search engine results pages (SERP) using the targeted medical terms or keywords. For example, you’re a cardiologist and your website contain information about heart and blood vessels as well as related products and services offered. Then, a patient searches the internet through Google search engine using the terms like “how to prevent heart attack” or “best cardiologists in Los Angeles”, your website will have a greater chance to appear on top search results if you’re using medical SEO best practices.
What are the Medical SEO Best Practices?
Medical SEO is constantly evolving to keep up with the latest trends and technology. Below are some SEO best practices to improve your website’s ranking in SERP and reach potential patients or customers online.
Make Your Website Mobile-Friendly
Most people prefer using mobile devices in surfing the internet instead of a computer or laptop. Simply because mobile devices are handy and can be carried almost anywhere. With mobile devices, people can search the internet anytime and anywhere as long as there’s an internet connection or Wifi. Therefore, mobile-friendly websites have an advantage over traditional websites design for desktop users only because search engines will likely rank these websites in search results. Refer below ways on making your website mobile-friendly.
- Make Your Medical Website Responsive. Search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo prefers responsive websites. A responsive website changes its content format based on the device used without limiting the information the visitors can access. However, building a responsive website isn’t easy and requires advanced web development skills. You’ll need to hire professional web developers or buy mobile-friendly templates.
- Choose Large Buttons and Font Sizes. The recommended mobile-friendly font size is at least 14px but you can test and try other sizes as long as it doesn’t look tiny in mobile devices.
- Increase Website’s Loading Speed. A good mobile-friendly website has a fast site speed. Compress anything that slows loading time such as high-resolution images and CSS.
Maintain High-Quality Content
Google prefers websites with high-quality content especially if such content can affect people’s lives like health information. Hence, a medical website with reliable information will most likely place number one in Google search results. Below are some tips to consider when writing articles for your website.
- Create Original Content. Avoid copying and pasting articles into your website if you don’t want to be punished by Google. Create your own content based on your knowledge and expertise as a medical practitioner. You can also do some research for topics you’re not familiar with but make sure it’s done properly. Google will tend to punish website with misleading content.
- Publish Content that Provides Answer. Remember that the reason why people are searching on the internet is to look for answers. For example, many people would search for “how to maintain a good heart rate” than just “good heart rate”. So, if you’re website have the most comprehensive article on how to maintain good heart rate then your chance of being in the number one page of search results is very high.
- Add Images or Videos into Your Content. There’s a greater chance that potential patients will stay longer and will read the whole content if there are images or videos attached in it. Most people preferred text with visual aids and not just a plain text unless it’s a book.
- Continuous Update to Your Content or Blog. A good website is regularly updated. Keep posting informative articles about healthcare such as tips on how to maintain good health, updates on your products and services and latest happenings in the healthcare industry. Not only search engine favors sites with regular updates but also, you’ll gain new readers that will potentially convert to customers.
On-Page Search Engine Optimization
On-page SEO practice will make your medical website user-friendly and easy to navigate. This SEO technique is widely used in boosting the website’s ranking in search engine results pages. Below are some of the on-page SEO best practices to increase your online presence.
- Title Tags. Title of your articles should include the targeted keywords and the length should not exceed 55 characters including spaces. The title tag tells Google what your page is all about. Hence, your title tags should be unique for each page or article.
- Meta Description. A good description should be concise and informative. Maintain the meta description of your content between 150 to 160 characters in length inserting the targeted keywords wisely. Also, the description that answers to a question is preferred by Google.
- Articles with Targeted Keywords. Use the targeted keywords at least four times within your content. Content should be unique and relevant to the targeted keywords.
Other on-page SEO best practices are the use of header tags, internal page linking and image alt tags. In summary, on-page SEO is all about properly incorporating the targeted keywords into your content to make your website visually appealing and relevant to the search query.
Off-Page Search Engine Optimization
Off-page SEO best practices include social media advertising such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Guest posting is also one of the most widely used off-page SEO technique. Partnering with reputable medical blogs and submitting content to them with a link back to your website is an effective and legitimate way of link building.
That’s it! we hope that this article can help you plan your next step in boosting your medical website’s ranking. Note that there are a lot of medical SEO techniques out there, if you are interested to learn more – we suggest to engage with medical SEO professional.
Share your thoughts